Grades Kindergarten to 5 - Part of Petoskey Public Schools
Petoskey Montessori Elementary School (PMES) has been recognized by the Association Montessori International (AMI-USA) since 1999. As a result of a Management Agreement with Public Schools of Petoskey, Kindergarten through 5th grade students are part of the public school district.
Our objective is to provide a carefully planned environment to help our children develop within themselves the fundamental habits, attitudes, skills, and ideas which are essential for a lifetime of creative thinking and learning. Children learn traditional values such as grace, courtesy, and respect for others along with strong academic principles. The classroom is designed around the developmental aspect of self-teaching activities presented with specific instruction.
The Elementary program offers a continuum built on the Primary level experience. The environment reflects a new stage of development and offers the following:
- Integration of the arts, sciences, geography, history, and language that evokes the native imagination and abstraction of the Elementary child.
- Presentation of the formal scientific language of zoology, botany, anthropology, geography, geology, etc., exposing the child to accurate, organized information and respecting the child’s intelligence and interests.
- Presentation of knowledge as part of a large-scale narrative that unfolds the origins of the earth, life, human communities, and modern history, always in the context of the wholeness of life.
- A mathematics curriculum presented with concrete materials that simultaneously reveal arithmetic, geometric, and algebraic correlations.
- Emphasis on open-ended research and in-depth study using primary and secondary sources (no text¬books or worksheets) as well as other materials.
Guide: Russell Carpenter
Before and After Care Monthly Rates
After School - 3:00 - 5:30 pm - 5 days per week $230.00*
*Effective September 2023
Please visit our Enrollment page for more information on our enrollment process.